Monday, May 31, 2010

~*~ Inn of 1,000 Thankfulnesses this Memorial Day ~*~

Mom Update:

Saturday, May 29 ~ Dad and I visited with Mom today during the afternoon visitation. I also took my youngest, Anna (2), with me. Anna was quiet and shy until I encouraged her to get up and play and interact, then she started to get a little too loud. :) Mom was happy to see her, talking and conversing pretty normally. We talked about doing something for Memorial Day but no plans yet. But then Mom wanted to rest about halfway through the visiting time so we all decided to leave a little early knowing that she would be leaving the next morning anyway.

Sunday, May 30 ~ Mom is officially discharged from the hospital!! She and Dad took her few things and spent part of the evening with John & Marlene and family for dinner which was very nice but seemed to tire Mom out a bit. We spoke on the phone but I didn't visit with them. She and I made plans for a simple Memorial Day picnic menu to be at their house. She stayed pretty much on task with the conversation and only got confused a few times where I just redirected her back to the subject.

My thoughts:

A few days ago my heart was broken and just shattered on the floor where I physically dropped onto. I truly didn't have the strength to get up. I sobbed deeper and harder than I ever have, only thinking that my mother would never be at home again and might even die. We were all broken with this news.

But God has seen fit to give us new hope and a plan. We are never to give up.. we're to keep pressing on and changing tactics as necessary. Only when He takes us home to Heaven is when we are to stop pursuing that particular avenue. We are to go and go until He stops us.

I once asked a friend who is the mother of 20 children how she got through each day when I struggled with only my 5 (at the time). She said, "If the Lord gives you the day, then He's given you what you need to get through it." It was honestly kind of too simple of an answer for me. I was waiting to hear some great, unforeseen advice of the great women such as her. And that was it? It was too simple to accept but sometimes we just need to DO and not over-think it.

If we knew what we were going to face 20 years ago or sometimes even 10 minutes ago then we just might crumble into despair. We know what we need to and we have the means to deal with it. He is all we need and He's given us what we need. He has more faith in us than we have in Him sometimes. That's something to think about.

So, now, we begin a new chapter in our lives. We continue on with our daily life, grow in relationship with my parents, and take on new roles. Now I won't just be a daughter and friend of my mother I'll also be a regular companion and at times, a care-giver. I'm so humbled to know that I get to be here right now to do this for her. I could easily be living too far away or make myself too busy to care for her on a regular basis. It would deeply trouble me if I had to accept that I couldn't be there for her and need to rely on someone else most of the time that we possibly don't even know that well. It's my privilege and responsibility and God knows my heart in this and He's made it so to which I'm extremely grateful. And on those days that I am ready to Get out of their house because I'm starting to lose it (!) I'll look back on this and remember these feelings. :)


I'll post up more updates of Mom but mostly just as pertinent information occurs. Until then, know that we are going on with our daily lives with Dad caring for her at home and myself stepping a few afternoons each week so that he can continue with his cherished time out with friends at the county Senior Center, playing cards and enjoying himself! We hope that Mom will join in some activities there as well sometime. I might continue with this blog but likely it'll dwindle down in frequency! And I'll post up some pictures sometimes, too!

Have a wonderful Memorial Day, everyone! Our country is a great one and we have so many to be thankful to for our rights and freedoms.

An especial Thank You to:

Steven & Clara Wyant - our nephew and niece-in-law who are currently and formerly (respectively) serving in the Navy, and their 1-year-old daughter, Sanlaya, who are stationed in Washington state.

Josh & Sonya Marie Shultz - our nephew-in-law and niece who are both currently serving in the Army and stationed in Washington, D.C.

Scott & Andrea Sheridan - Mike's uncle and family who is currently serving in the Army and stationed in Missouri.

Wesley Luther - my cousin who is currently serving in the Marines and is stationed in North Carolina.

Wendy Poston - Mike's mother who served in the Navy

Mike Sheridan (I) - Mike's father who served in the Navy

Bob Wyant - my father who served in the Marines

John Wyant - my brother who served in the Army

We both have many more retired military family and several current friends and are grateful to each of you.

We're proud to Remember on this Memorial Day !